Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Brain Paste

We had a party on Friday night, for my birthday. Due to alcohol and a week of fatigue, I slept hard. Real hard. I snored with my mouth wide open, and my wife was so tired too, she slept right through it. Which means she didn’t wake me up or adjust me like she usually does, so I snored all the harder and longer. It was a hard long snoring.
The result: super dry mouth, which caused a bad case of Uvilitis. That’s a word that’s so weird, that even Google doesn’t like it. “Did you mean uveitis?” No I did not.
Wikipedia is cool with it though. Anyway. Since I have in-laws in town, there’s turmeric everywhere, and I recalled that turmeric is natural anti-inflammatory. So we tried adding some to honey to make a paste. And then I started thinking about all the brain research I’ve been doing, and decided to add cocoa, to make it palatable and for the anti-oxidants. And then oil, as I need something to make it pastier. And then chili powder. So here’s the result:
  • 1 tsp cocoa powder (flavanoids!)
  • 1 tsp raw honey (anti-everything)
  • 2 tsp olive oil (fat fuses flavors)
  • 1 tsp turmeric (anti-inflammatory)
  • ¼ tsp chili powder (boosts metabolism)
Mix into a paste. Add to your chai tea or milk or whatever. Or spread on toast. Or a bran muffin.
None of this is scientific, of course, strictly speaking. But dang it’s good. It’s like one of those trendy chocolate bars the fancy-dancy shoppes sell ya. It’s like Nutella for cheapskates. It’s like there’s a party in your mouth, and only the hipsters are invited.
Oh, and I should say: measure the turmeric last or use an entirely different teaspoon. Turmeric has a tendency to get into things if you’re not careful. I like turmeric but sometimes I’m not in the mood for it to get into my tea. Sometimes.