Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Key Is To Not Think About It


I worked from home for 12 years, and then one day out of the blue, I got laid off. I got a new job a few weeks later. Temporary, less pay, and get this: I have to work in an office, with people.

It's actually not so bad. It's in downtown Seattle, in the 4th and Pike Building. A little company called Joggle. We make a brain-training game. There are only six of us!

But the thing is, not only do I have to wear pants, and wear them every day, I have to share stuff now, Like a kitchen and an internet connection and a restroom. Not only that, but the restroom isn't even in the office-- I have to take a key and go out to the men's room at the end of the hall.

And the key sticks. No one told me. You know how it is on your first day. You're nervous. So you wait until the very last minute. And you look all over the office for the restroom. Finally nature puts nurture in a headlock and you ask someone. And are told where the key is. But not that the lock sticks!

So there's me struggling, sweating, standing there with my legs crossed while people walk by. Finally I went back and asked if I had the wrong key. Then they told me about the sticky lock. So I went back.

I'll save you the anguish I suffered: I got the door open. (Eventually. It was touch and go there for a while). I left the key in the men's room when I left, but that's another story.

That was two weeks ago. Now I can get through the door with nary a pause. Muscle memory is an incredible thing (my job is to research brain articles, so this is one I looked up today).

I hear we're going to hire a new guy soon. I can't wait. I can't wait to tell him nuthin'.