Wednesday, October 30, 2013

An Open Apology to the Ladies and Men Asking Me to Sign Things on Pike between 1st and 2nd


I lied. I was not in a hurry. Not really. I mean, I didn’t have time to talk to all six of you, but I guess I could have talked to one of you. But I didn’t want to. I need to get to Pike Place Market to buy some post cards and a copy of Games magazine. Then I need to grab lunch and head back to the office. I suppose I could have listened to one of you tell me why I should sign your petition… I just wasn’t in the mood.

But you were all so very nice. Each of you smiled. Three of you shook my hand. You listened to my lame excuse “In a hurry, sorry!” and your smiles never wavered, not a bit.

In general, I don’t like to sign petitions, that’s my excuse. I mean, I would have been wasting your time more than you would have been wasting mine. I wouldn’t have signed, even if it’s a cause I believe in. I know, I’m lame! Or, if you were one of the very pretty ones, and I was trying to impress you, I would have used a fake name.

I mean, come on, wasting your time when you could be spending it going after someone else? Signing a fake name and potentially rendering the petition invalid? Get creeped on by a guy who’s married anyway and even if he wasn’t is too old for you and even if you’re into older married guys there’s no way you’re into older married guys who write zombie stories and slam poetry? I did us both a favor.

But still, I think I should apologize anyway. Because you were all very friendly about it. It makes it harder for me to be an asshole when you don’t asshole me back. So, sorry about that.

By the way, could you let me know when you’re going to be gone? I need to buy my wife some flowers at the Market after she reads this.